Should WCC be a smoke-free campus? What about e-cigarettes?

No SmokingI have been a smoker for over 20 years. I quit about 7 years ago. I have been on both sides in college as a smoker and a non-smoker.
I feel we as a campus should just abide by the current UH policies restricting smoking to certain areas.
I know how hard it is to quit and I know how hard it is to follow rules, so I feel that designating smoking areas is fine. If someone wants to smoke, let them smoke.
In regards to e-cigarettes, I feel the same rules should apply. There is not enough research out yet to determine all the risks and health factors, so treating e-cigs like cigarettes should be mandated and they should be used in designated areas for smoking.
As much as I would like to see the campus a smoke-free environment, I have empathy for those who smoke. Changing the policies and rules would lead to sneaky and criminal behaviors, such as smoking in bathrooms, closets, etc.
My hope is that we will weigh the pros and cons and make smart choices in determining what is best for each campus. We still have liberty; let us exercise it.
—Daphne Ho’okano

I do not smoke. However, I can imagine students at Windward smoke to relieve the stress from school.
Completely banning smoking could potentially lead to fewer students in school for the simple reason being the inability to cope with stress. I would like to see a smoke-free campus despite my argument.
Electronic cigarettes are much more pleasant for the public, although I believe there are still unknowns as far as long-term effects and potentially serious side effects.
On a small rant, to those who do use e-cigs: Please be respectful of others. Yes, it does smell like candy, but no one wants to inhale what has been in your lungs. Still treat e-cigs like cigarettes.
—Joseph Flores

I am a smoker, so I think that there is nothing wrong with the current policy. The designated smoking areas are fair enough.
If people don’t want to smell (smoke) or whatever, it is very easy for them to avoid.
However, the e-cigarettes are everywhere except in buildings and classrooms. I think that they will be known for causing cancer next. No matter what, putting chemicals into your body is not good.
I also think that tobacco companies have a hand in the e-cig economy.
—Paul Inouye

I don’t think WCC should be a smoke-free campus. As long as people are abiding by the smoking policies set by UH, I don’t have a problem with it.
Nowadays, many smokers have become more considerate of their surroundings. Many smoke only in the designated areas and away from people.
Personally, the only problem I have with e-cigarettes is when people blow their vapor in bad places.
Yes, I’m glad you’re not smoking regular cigarettes, but I don’t want your vapor in my face. Other than that, e-cigs are hopefully less harmful and therefore better than regular cigarettes.
—Mark Kavenui

WCC should be a smoke-free campus. Growing up, my mother always smoked around me, so after I moved out, I have been able to enjoy the fresh air. Now, when I pass people smoking, it actually makes me sick to my stomach.
I think it is important to refrain from smoking on the school campus. For people who have not been exposed to smoke, they should not have to come to school and be introduced to it.
Things like e-cigarettes also attract the attention of many younger students and could potentially aid in the recruitment of new smokers.
I believe that because smoke bothers some students and could potentially make others want to smoke, that smoking should be eliminated completely from our campus.
—Kassandra Dubois

Having been a smoker in the past, I have empathy for those who continue to do so. The current smoking restrictions in place are fair to both smokers and non-smokers alike.
We have so many laws governing our society that eventually we may be without many of the freedoms and rights we have grown accustomed to.
Perhaps the university should offer free services to aid in the process of helping people quit smoking.
As for e-cigarettes, I think that they are extremely dangerous. Just because research on the dangers doesn’t exist, it does not mean that they are safe!
—Todd Coffey

As a former smoker, I say that WCC should become a smoke-free campus. There is no real need to smoke or use e-cigarettes on campus and to force non-smokers to come in contact with it.
I don’t think that e-cigarettes are any better for you. There have not been long-term studies on them to deem them safe. The vapor from e-cigarettes lingers, and you can tell as a non-smoker that you are inhaling their vapors.
—William McRoberts

Yes, WCC should be a smoke-free campus. Most public places are smoke-free, so why shouldn’t a public college campus be?
Smoking is bothersome to non-smokers and harmful to the smoker and everyone around them. I am a non-smoker, and it annoys me greatly. I’m sure for someone who has asthma or breathing problems, it is a worse situation for them.
I am also against e-cigarettes or “vapes” as everyone calls them. They are a waste of money, and the effects of using them are still unknown.
A lot of children and younger adults have tried them because it is considered a trend. They like the flavors and nicotine levels available. Many who have never smoked or had a smoking problem are now using e-cigarettes with nicotine in them.
—Julie Eustaquio

I think the current rules are plenty enough. People smoke more at Windward than I have seen anywhere else. If in between classes you need to relax, who should deny that?
I think that if the campus became smoke-free, a lot of people would not obey school policy, which could result in an even bigger problem because it weakens other school policies.
There are already enough smoking areas (to allow smoking) and to protect non-smokers from second-hand smoke.
—Anthony Miranda

WCC should continue with the same policies because if we have a completely smoke-free campus, smokers who have a strong need to smoke during the day won’t be able to come to WCC.
It should be fair for everyone to get their education whether they’re a smoker or a non-smoker. As long as everyone follows the policies, it will be fair for everyone.
I also think e-cigarettes should follow the same rules as tobacco smokers. E-cigarettes can be a distraction and a health hazard for those who have breathing problems.
—Alyssa Tokoro

I personally am a non-smoker. I think that smokers should be able to smoke in designated smoking areas. I can just avoid these areas if I don’t want to be around secondhand smoke. Smoking is not illegal, so why make smokers leave campus to have a legal cigarette?
—Shelby Gazley

Yes, UH should be a smoke-free campus. We are getting educated about setting higher standards and how to better the world. School won’t matter if you’re dying of cancer or you become ill. It also puts others at risk. We must et a good example and be health conscious.
—Kailani Meheula

I believe WCC should abide by current (state) policies — the reason being I am an ex-smoker and not having that ability on campus will put a strain on those individuals who do smoke. I have not experienced any negative situations with smokers. I believe the smoking sections designated on campus were designed well, as I have not come across any smokers on campus.
—Kawena Elisara

I am not a smoker so I think WCC should be a smoke-free campus. We know the hazards of secondhand smoke so even if smokers are restricted to certain areas, they cannot control the smoke that can affect others. Many smokers don’t follow smoking restrictions so it’s better to ban smoking altogether. There are other universities that do this so why can’t WCC?
—Eli Vendiola

I am not a smoker and dislike the use of tobacco. However, on this matter I side with the vapor inhalers. Don’t accuse anyone of wrongdoing for their preference to vaporize until such a law is in place to say it is so.
—Ian Jenss

WCC should not be made a smoke-free campus. There are designated smoking areas, and it’s a personal choice.
— Derinette Chaves