How do you feel about drones and what should the regulations be?

Photo by Jessica CrawfordIn a military sense, drones are perfect. You don’t risk sending in U.S. soldiers to a hot zone, and they possess the ability for long-term flight making them accurate and deadly. And because someone on the ground pilots the drone remotely, there’s still a human element to decide what’s right and wrong.
—Stephen Hughes

I’ve had little to no experience with drones in the past few years that they’ve become commercialized. However, two days ago, while playing a soccer game, I noticed one attached with cameras flying overhead. My initial reaction was I was creeped out. I feel this to be a common reaction when you notice someone is looking at you from an unusual place, but also, that this was even more unusual because I had no idea who it was that was observing me. It was a bizarre feeling to say the least, but it did get me thinking about drones.
I realized that there have been drones floating in space for years now that can observe everything that I do, but it seems that people forget about those ones. I do appreciate the artistic, recreational and commercial uses for drones, whether it be filming events, mapping forests or to just observe the Earth through a new perspective, but I absolutely do not want those things filming me.
—Max Irons

There should be very tough regulations on drones (rules of engagement). Drones can be very useful in protecting our nation and on offensive missions, but we shouldn’t be careless and abuse the power that they come with. There should be solid human intelligence gathered before drone strikes are authorized. Rules of engagement have to stand and count for something.
I’m putting myself on the other side of this. Say I’m living in Afghanistan and I have family, children and innocents around me. I would not feel safe with those things flying in the air. As an American, it’s terrifying to even imagine it. Evildoers deserve to be detained or killed, but at the expense of innocent lives, unacceptable.
We live in 2015; let’s act like it. Value of life should be sacred and precious; especially after all we’ve survived and been through as the human race.
—Josevata Damuni

I know that drones were an inevitable part of the future and would one day become a common technological advancement. Many great things can be accomplished with the use of drones, such as filming creatures and events that usually happen when no humans are around. They also create a safer environment for people who tape wildlife occurrences.
Without the actual presence of humans in a natural environment, those natural occurrences happen undisturbed.
—Kassandra Dubois