A sweet finish to WCC’s first International Desserts Cook-Off

Winners of the International Desserts Cook-Off: (from left) Alex Parisky, Alexandra Mayo Otis and Ingelica White – Tammy Pratt

WCC held its first International Desserts Cook-Off last month at Hale La‘akea Breezeway. As part of International Education Week, participants created desserts influenced from around the world.

The friendly competition was open to students, faculty and staff. Desserts were judged on taste, attractiveness and uniqueness.

Donations collected allowed participants to taste six different entries. All donations received will fund future International Education Week events.

Winners of the event received boxes of candy and wooden spoons according to rank.

“I grew up Russian,” said STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) developer Alex Parisky. “Russian food is typically very boring, very mild, not spicy. For me, I think that’s made me do the opposite. I’ve really searched out food that’s unique taste, unique spices.”

Parisky’s winning dish Kanom Krok was influenced by his encounters with street food in Thailand. A golden brown dessert, it’s crispy on the outside, soft and sweet on the inside. “I wanted to bring back something that people hadn’t experienced before,” said Parisky. “I wanted to share something that people probably wouldn’t have had an opportunity to try. It was an excellent experience. I would like to recognize the International Education Committee on making the event so successful.”

According to event coordinators Ellen Ishida-Babineau and Jane Uyetake, it was a sweet success. “Food is always key,” said Ishida-Babineau. “Food always attracts people. Everyone enjoyed themselves. They thought the food was really good.”

by Tammy Pratt, Ka ‘Ohana Staff Reporter