Farewell as Ka ‘Ohana’s editor in chief, but not to journalism!

Debbra Baetz is all smiles during a field trip to watch a live broadcast at the KITV news headquarters. – Kainoa Makua

My journey as a journalism student has been extraordinary at WCC!

I was fortunate to study under professor Libby Young who retired in May 2014 after teaching for 35 years.

Young helped students to really own their stories by guiding us closely through the editing process and reviewing with us the fundamentals of writing along the way.

It was my first journalism course, and I instantly liked the writing style because it dealt with facts, and Iʻm a facts kind of person.

With facts, it’s easy to avoid including your opinion simply because you have to stick to the facts when you write your story.

Two semesters later and after missing the journalism experience, I enrolled in the newspaper lab course (JOUR 285V) under new journalism instructor Kimberlee Bassford.

I learned how to apply different page design and layout techniques and got back to more interviewing and writing.

I was also able to practice my photgraphy skills as we are required to include our own photos with our stories.

Journalism provided opportunities for me to expand my knowledge and awareness of things around me that I didnʻt even know existed or had little information about such as banned books week, the Talking Service pilot program for WCC students who are military veterans, and the ceramic artwork of Harue McVay.

I participated in events such as a tour of the KITV news station where I watched a segment of the news live, attended Hoʻolauleʻa 2015 and a Blue Zones project kick-off event as a reporter and photographer, went to a welcome reception for Talking Service and heard from guest journalism speakers in class.

I met and interviewed many people like military veterans, Governor David Ige, former Navy Seals, professors, artists with disabilities, a chemistry expert, the manager of Palikū Theatre and campus security.

This whole experience has opened another career opportunity for me all because I chose journalism for my writing intensive class. It was all worth it!

Itʻs time for me to say farewell as the editor in chief of Ka ʻOhana, but not to journalism!

by Debbra Baetz, Ka ‘Ohana Editor in Chief