Community News

Revealing the myths of homeschooling

Revealing the myths of homeschooling

There are many myths about the homeschooled in our society: They have no social life, they never do schoolwork, and they are crazed kooks. But what exactly do they do and why? Homeschooling has grown rapidly in the U.S. and here in Hawai‘i. Honolulu Magazine stated that the number of […]

· Community News
Reconnecting the community with the land

Reconnecting the community with the land

As the steady Saturday rain fell, a circle of some 30 volunteers held hands and listened to the oli (Hawaiian chant). The oli explained the purpose of Papahana Kuaola, a 69-acre parcel of land in the Waipao Valley, nestled up against the Ko’olau Mountains. According to co-director Kihei Nahale-a, there […]

· Centerspread, Community News
Mohamedou Ould Slahi

Inmate’s ‘Guantánamo Diary’ tells of captivity, interrogation and torture

A Mauritanian folktale tells us about a rooster-phobe who would almost lose his mind whenever he encountered a rooster. “Why are you so afraid of the rooster?” the psychiatrist asks him. “The rooster thinks I’m corn.” “You’re not corn. You are a very big man. Nobody can mistake you for […]

· Community News, News Of The Day
Unmanned aircraft: hazardous or helpful?

Unmanned aircraft: hazardous or helpful?

It’s a bird… it’s a plane… no, it’s a drone. Drones started out as “unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)” for dangerous military missions. But lately, this remote control device has been adopted by hobbyists, real estate agents, search and rescue teams and filmmakers who need shots with a birds-eye view. Today […]

· Community News
On your own: renting an apartment

On your own: renting an apartment

This column is about some things to consider when renting an apartment — especially for the first time. To get an idea of the housing situation, I surveyed my students and found approximately 80 percent of them lived at home with their parents. There are no campus-wide statistics for how […]

· Community News
Two local boys take on the toughest challenge

Two local boys take on the toughest challenge

In 1994, identical twins Baron and Brayden were high school dropouts – local boys with no ambition in life. That all changed when they decided to become Navy SEALS and embarked on one of the most challenging careers in the military. Together, they would go through many disappointments and struggles […]

· Community News
Kailua Farmers’ Market: a treasure trove of food & fresh produce

Kailua Farmers’ Market: a treasure trove of food & fresh produce

Every Thursday evening from 5 to 7:30 p.m., hundreds of people flock to the Kailua Farmers’ Market – a treasure trove of food and fresh produce available to tourists and locals alike. The 48 vendors have everything from different varieties of local plants and produce to homemade nut candies. The […]

· Centerspread, Community News